Sunday, February 9, 2014

SRA of NSW 80 class 8047 and 8041 weathering

Hi All

I have been hard at it, trying to do some bulk weathering.  to this point I have a couple of 80 classes in reverse.
I know what you are thinking, why would I need any 80 class locomotives?
Well at one time (late 80s to early 1990s), 80 class locomotives were run though power on SP PS and AS SA services.
This means that 80 class locomotives worked into Port Augusta and Adelaide from Broken Hill.
Also when the EL class units were banned as lead units for the SAB system, 80 class locomotives were leased of SRA of NSW, to supplement standard gauge operations.

So for the future Port Augusta - Whyalla layout, I can justify at least three 80 class locomotives.

I studied various photos and the side panels seemed to have faded to a chalky tuscan colour, I did two of these at once, so one for me, one for ebay.

The yellow ends were toned down, using a very diluted wash of humbrol white.
rust on the handrails were picked out using at fine brush.
All other body panels were washed with a colour with a slight fade in it to knock the edge off the plasticy tuscan colour. I used Humbrol rust and #64 grey with a tiny bit of black to give it some balance.

Here is the picture from Norm Bray, I used for reference, 8041.

I am happy with the end result, as follows:







enjoy

Scott

No comments:

Post a Comment