Wednesday, April 7, 2010
Attached are some pix of the Tea and Sugar, in the yard and crossing over the CAR on to the TAR on to Cook. We have a shunt procedure down pat now which consists of T&S arriving at Barcoola, the empty Van water and fuel tanks are removed from the triangle sidings, and replaced with "fresh" loaded wagons. empty wagons are stored in the yard. Loaded open wagons are picked up from the ballast siding, and replacement empty open wagons positioned. The T&S then departs the yard, for Cook. In the fiddle yard the train is reversed. The "bomber" then arrives in Barcoola from Cook. The Bomber then picks up the empty wagons, previously positioned in the yard by the T&S, and deposits the empty ballast wagons then departs for Port Augusta.
Tuesday, April 6, 2010
some more pix. We managed to get some good pictures of the "Ginacood" pub, note the EL sneeking around the corner in the background.
A view down the main street, the HJ75's to fit the location, I would like to see a EB Falcon or VR commondore out the front of the pub, but since most of our local model manufactures are 10 to 15 years behind modelers demands, I seriously doubt this will happen. I will have to work something else out.
Like any layout it's never finished. But on the plus side, it has a new permanent home and although its not able to be set up, I have plenty of room to store it.
Barcoola has no new exhibitions for the remainder of this year and we expect it to go into hibernation. Construction of "a Town like Alice" is going to be planned out with standard project management techniques. If all goes well, I should be able to be accomplished within 6 months, as long as we can get the materials in time.
We had a very successful exhibition at Hobson's Bay 2010. We caught up with many, and fun was had by all.
We managed to squeeze some pictures in on sunday and monday in some of the lulls between heavy traffic. As usual the Saturday morning was the busiest. Most of the changes to the layout were more unseen between Caulfield 2009 and Hobson's bay 2010. These included the following:
cutting down the four of the five heavy ply boards and converting them to the same format as the new boards. This enabled all the scenery boards to be loaded into the one 6by4 trailer.
Rewiring four of the old boards to DCC only.
Building new lighter free standing legs for the four older boards
Building five new lights to better spread the light, this turned out to be obvious not only in the photos but also the additional heat generated, which at the end of the day you really started to feel.
The down side:
One wiring fault (my bad) on one of the new boards. All the GM's seemed to have their chips fried at the last exhibition and refused to be reprogramed, EL53 sound equiped was also fried #$%^& it!
Any way here are some the un modified, small res shot of the layout, more to come.