Sunday, November 3, 2013

Alice Springs fiddle yard completed

Hi All

Here is some shots of Alice Springs fiddle yard.
As luck would have it, I have enough room to set it up part of the layout on the Decking,  this makes laying the track easier as I can get to both sides of the board, what can I say the advantage of a sectional layout.

 Looking south towards Alice Springs, the head shunt is to the left, the three roads curving to the right are heading to Bow River.
 The track is held in place using "liquid nails", I find this process saves time.  I laid all this trackage in about 10 hours, and most of this was prep work ensuring the curves are spot on.
 looking north, there is a cross over between the main line and the northern head shunt.  In ultra modern operations, this end will represent all points north.
 Here is the make shift radi marker I made up to ensure all the curves are as required.
 A view looking railway south, the fiddle yard entrance, tentatively called "Todd Junction".
 I have built these boards with a central spine so that I can install a removable backdrop, it is designed to fit 6mm MDF with a friction fit, no bolts or anything, just the weight of the board holds it in place.  This means that if we have any "incident" in the fiddle yard I can still get to all points when set up in the train room.
 For this section of the layout, I have used Peco code 83 electro frog #6 points, and Atlas code 83 concrete flexi track, thanks to Overland hobbies for the advice on that one, I am impressed with the Peco code 83 points, just a bit more work involved in cutting and wiring prior to installation.
This shot should illistrate how the ,mainline will continue over the bridge and then curve around into Bow River, the fiddle yard boards will be hidden by the 6mm MDF panels.
Just got to put in the droppers and we are good to go.

All this work has kept the layout out of operation for the week, standby...

Enjoy

Scott

1 comment:

  1. Hi Scott

    I'm looking for a suitable concrete sleepered track for my Western Australian main line layout. I wonder if you wouldn't mind providing sleeper width, length and spacing of the Atlas track?

    Thanks

    Drew

    ReplyDelete